School Walkathons & School Fun Runs
Looking for a healthy fundraising idea that has proven to be successful for schools time and time again? School Walkathons or Fun Runs are the perfect school fundraiser! And DoJiggy has all of the tools you need to succeed - without breaking the bank. We never take a percentage of your donations, unlike most of our competitors. Try our school walkathon software today with a free trial and let us help your school or Parent Teacher Organization succeed in raising more money this year.
As parents and educators, we are interested in teaching children about how physical activity and a healthy lifestyle can contribute to overall self-esteem, productivity, and enjoyment of life. In our society today there is a tendency for children to make unhealthy choices... eating fast-food, playing video games, and not getting enough exercise. This is a constant topic in the news and a concern with educational institutions and parents. For that reason, we encourage educators and parents to continue to look for opportunities that send the message of the importance of building an overall healthy lifestyle. Cookie dough, chocolate bar and candy fundraisers just don't do that!
This is one reason why school walkathons and Fun Runs have become so popular. Of course there are many other reasons Parent Teacher Organizations (PTOs) and administrators choose walkathons for fundraising events. Not only do walkathons and Fun Runs combine exercise (whether running, walking, skipping, or rolling) and fun for all participants, but they also provide the opportunity to generate significant income without high overhead costs. School Fun Runs are especially great for sports teams and elementary school fundraising, as they support health and wellness, school spirit, and encourage teamwork.
A school walkathon fundraiser or School Fun Run can bring the entire community together. Local businesses get involved though sponsorship of the race and setting up information booths at the after-party. (See our resources on how to get sponsors to support a walkathon.) Parents and volunteers in the community donate their time to help with event details such as online registration, soliciting in-kind donations, setting up the race day pit-stops and hosting the kick-off and post-event celebration, where local restaurants and entertainers can also get involved. Don't forget to include extras - maybe a fundraising raffle, silent auction or bake sale in your post-event celebration to raise more money for your school.
Utilizing School Walkathon & Fun Run Software
Using peer-to-peer software allows students to easily raise funds online for your school, via their network of family and friends. Features of our walkathon or School Fun Run platform include:
- Walkers/runners have their own fundraising page where friends and family make secure donations, view fundraising progress and more
- Classrooms or grade levels have fundraising pages which include all participants’ combined fundraising progress
- Fundraising thermometers, Leaderboards and top fundraisers are tracked and displayed on your website (if desired) to promote competition between your participants and help you raise more
- Privacy features are enabled, so that last names do not show on your walk website and student pages are not indexed in Google
- Off-line donations and checks are easily tracked and entered from a pledge form to the software, at no additional cost
- Administrators can import students or enable the easy registration for schools page
- We support per unit of effort pledges for laps or other specified unit (miles, kilometers, obstacles)
Many schools report raising two to three times as much by taking their school Fun Run or walkathon online with us! Try out our peer-to-peer software for your school's fundraiser today.
Don't Forget the Prizes
Kids love prizes of all kinds and will work hard to earn even very small prizes. We recommend that Fun Run prizes are structured in this way to encourage everyone to participant and not leave anyone behind:
- Participation – Students receive a small prize (ie pencil, sticker or choice from a treasure box of small items) for registering as a walker on your crowdfunding website.
- $100 or Other Attainable Level – Students receive a free t-shirt, hat or other memorabilia or school spirit award when they reach this level of fundraising. Some schools also include a raffle option here; anyone reaching the goal is entered into a raffle for prizes.
- Top Student Fundraisers – The top three school fundraisers receive large prizes, like $50 and $100 gift cards.
- Classroom with 100% Participation – When everyone in the classroom has registered or collected at least one donation, students receive extra recess or dress down day. These are free prizes that do not cost your school any money, but are very popular with kids.
- Top Fundraising Classrooms – For the top one or two fundraising classrooms, students receive a pizza party or similar luncheon event.
Walkathon Alternatives Are Also Popular School Fundraising Events
Looking for something like a walk-a-thon or Fun Run, but want to make it a unique experience for your students? We have some unique fundraising ideas for you!
- Many groups now incorporate powdered color paint into their fundraising events for a fun school Color Run fundraiser. Participants wear a white t-shirt and the color flies!
- Choose a School Fun Run theme, such as a Pajama Run or Superhero Walk. See this blog for Fun Run theme ideas.
- We also see a lot of schools incorporating an Obstacle Course fundraiser for middle school and high school fundraising events.
- Dance marathons or all nigh dance parties are fun high school fundraising events where donors can pledge for the amount of time danced.
- School service projects or serve-a-thons raise money while offering service to the community. These are often run in conjunction with a local non-profit organization.
- Read-a-thons and reading fundraisers teach literacy and a love of learning, while raising much needed school funds.
More Walkathon and School Fundraising Resources
DoJiggy is the leader in software and free resources for walk-a-thons and School Fun Runs. See more of our Walkathon Resources and check out great fundraisers for schools or PTA Fundraising Ideas for more inspiration.