If your nonprofit intends on handling any kind of online financial transaction: online donations, selling tickets to fundraising events, selling sponsorship opportunities, etc. you are going to want to find a merchant services provider so you can offer credit card processing. After all, almost every exchange of money these days happens via debit or credit card, and if you only offer traditional forms of payment (check or cash) you are likely going to miss out on a huge opportunity for additional revenue.
DoJiggy offers affordable merchant services and integrated payments for non-profits, schools and community organizations. We have options, too, so please let us know what you need and we’ll find a solution for you.
Factors to consider when selecting a merchant service provider
- Credibility: Be sure to partner with a company that is a certified payment processor, has experience, positive testimonials, good, ethical values, etc. There are many merchant service providers, so if someone can’t prove their credibility…move on. There are way too many credit card scams to partner with someone that isn’t qualified.
- Set-up: how easy is it to set your service up? Is there a rigorous screening process and excessive fees? Is there an easy way to apply? Do they provide a customer service rep to answer questions for you, help walk you through the application process, etc.
- Credit Card Processing Fees: First, make note that every merchant service provider charges a fee for processing transactions. However, the range of credit card processing fees can be very different (from 1% – 20%) And, there are different fees for different types of transactions (credit vs. debit) as well as some cards may have different fees than others. there may also be different fees for NONPROFITS vs. for-profit businesses.
- Hidden fees. in addition to transaction fees, there may also often monthly service fees, costs for mobile processing, late fees, fees for customers support and of course early-termination fees! Be on the lookout for all of these.
- Contracts: some companies require that you sign a contract therefore binding you to use the service for a minimum of one year (or more). if the service doesn’t work out, they then charge termination fees . Take note and possibly “avoid” these companies. Binding customers to a contract and threatening fees for leaving doesn’t seem like a great way to build a loyal customer base. How about looking for a company that provides competitive rates, and honest, exceptional service instead.
- Credit card Equipment: what type of credit card equipment is available? and does it meet your needs? will you only be processing donations via your website or do you need a point of sale system? or a mobile processing app that attaches to your phone. Find out not only what type of credit card processing equipment is offered and what does it cost. Some companies may charge hundreds of dollars for equipment, where others may offer it for Free!
- Incentives: As with many businesses, merchant services has become an extremely competitive field. There are lots of options out there…from the basic service of PayPal to the custom mom & pop shop that offers credit card processing for one niche business. This is a buyers market! So do your research and find out what’s in it for you: lower rates, better customer service, better integration with your organization’s website…or perhaps you can even get a Free Donations Website when you sign up!
Contact us if we can help in your merchant services search.