The DoJiggy.io online and virtual fundraising platform features free, unlimited Text to Donate SMS messages for all US-based charity and fundraising campaigns.
What is Text to Donate?
Text-to-donate is using SMS phone texting to donate to a nonprofit organization or charitable cause. Text to Donate allows your donors to easily support your organization or charity at any time and anywhere right from their mobile phones. Supporters will text your organization or fundraising campaign’s keyword to a designated phone number. In return, they will receive a link to your website, auction item, or other feature to make a mobile donation.
So you can see how promoting mobile giving via Text to Donate makes it easy for your supporters to donate. In addition to boosting revenue, text donations also enable nonprofits to improve donor engagement and retention. In turn, this will help you to secure long-term support for your cause.
Text to Donate is ideal for the following situations:
- Dinners and galas: Provide attendees a keyword they can text to purchase items, bid on auction items, and make donations right from their table.
- Use on Marketing materials: Display a text-to-give keyword on your printed marketing materials, such as flyers or posters.
- Conference and meetings: When you’re in front of a crowd of people, giving them text fundraising information is often easier than a URL.
- Church and Religious services: Many churches and religious groups ask the congregation to give directly from their pews.
- Promotion on Radio and TV: Promote your keyword in radio and TV spots, podcasts, and other media.
Text to Donate vs Text to Give
You may have heard of Text to Give and wonder – what’s the difference between Text to Give vs Text to Donate? Today the two are mostly used interchangeably.
Text to Give is sometimes called:
- Text to Donate
- Text to Tithe
- Text to Bid (for online charity auctions)
- Mobile Giving
True Text to Give
True Text-to-give is a bit different from the more common Text-to-donate. Text-to-give is a carrier-based mobile fundraising method that allows supporters to easily donate via a text message. Supporters simply text a keyword to an organization’s shortcode (rather than a full phone number) and a specified donation is added to the supporters’ phone bill. That’s right – the donation is added to a phone bill and not charged on a credit card at the time the donation is made. Text to Give allows donors to donate a specific, pre-set amount like $5, $10, or $25. The amount is generally low to widely encourage giving. This is one of the biggest drawbacks of true text to give as it may limit support. Many donors would give more when given a chance.
Nonprofit organizations must meet the requirements and guidelines set forth by the Mobile Giving Foundation to be eligible to use Text to Give. Organizations have to submit an application and meet qualifying criteria that many organizations cannot achieve.
True Text to Give is expensive to implement. Costs run around $2,000/year for just one keyword and $1,000 for additional keywords.
For these reasons, Text to Give is used mainly by large organizations for emergencies or specific campaigns such as the American Red Cross and UNICEF. You may have seen this type of text fundraising promoted on TV or national media.
Text to Donate Wins!
Text to Donate is much more flexible than Text to Give. Unlike text-to-give, there are no minimum fundraising or fiscal requirements for text-to-donate. Small nonprofit organizations and schools can easily use texting to enhance their fundraising efforts. Text-to-donate allows supporters to make custom donation amounts, set up recurring donations, donate to specific fundraising events and individuals, and much more. Text to donate is a more effective solution today because:
- It is much easier and less expensive to set up (free with DoJiggy!).
- Donors generally give more and are not limited to a certain amount, with our text-to-give.
- Text to Donate donors can make recurring donations from crowdfunding and donations pages. Recurring donations are not supported with Text to Give.
- Text to Give can only be made if the donor has one of these phone providers – Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile. Our text-to-donate empowers supporters from any smartphone, regardless of their cell service provider.
- You get your money faster! It takes less time to receive donations since you don’t have to receive funds from the wireless carriers, which can take up to 90 days with text-to-give.
Why Should Nonprofits Use Text to Donate?
Put simply, text-based fundraising works. Text to Donate boosts your organization’s revenue and donor engagement, by making donations easy.
As technology develops and everyday activities become ever more mobilized, so should your organization’s fundraising strategy. That means employing new marketing techniques and offering new donation opportunities. With text-based fundraising, your organization will meet two very important fundraising goals:
- Reach your donors wherever they are
- Simplify the donation process for donors
Text to Give for Churches
Many churches and religious groups are now asking congregation members to give right from their pews. Often referred to as Text-to-Tithe in the church sector, text-to-give helps churches and communities of faith reach their fundraising goals in an increasingly cashless world. Since church fundraising is largely done via donations, Text to Donate is a great option for churches.
How Our Text to Give Works
The beauty of Text fundraising lies in its simplicity. With our system, everything is in place and we walk you through the setup steps. DoJiggy Text to Give is included at no cost with the following fundraising software platforms:
- Fundraising raffles
- Charity auction websites
- Simple stores for nonprofits
- Crowdfunding websites
- Events management and ticketing (including virtual livestreamed events)
- Donation pages
From your campaign setup, simply:
- Click the checkbox to enable text-to-give functionality.
- Enter your desired keyword. This is the word that donors will text to our designated number. It’s best to keep the keyword short and simple to remember, yet easy to associate with your cause. Each campaign can have its own keyword.
- Click CHECK AVAILABILITY to see if your keyword is available. If it’s already in use, consider adding a number or finding an alternate word to formulate a keyword that’s unique to your campaign.
- Share this keyword with your supporters, along with our custom phone number.
See more details on enabling the function here.
How Do Supporters Make Text Donations?
Once you’ve enabled text to donate, donors simply text the keyword to our number and receive a link to complete their donation. The mobile system supports digital wallets (contactless payments) like Apple Pay and Google Pay, to make mobile donations even easier. Supporters can select the P2P participant they wish to donate to, buy more items, place bids, make recurring donations and more.
Note that Text to Donate is only available for US clients and US mobile phones, at this time.