How to Organize a Color Run Fundraiser to Wow Your Supporters
Fundraise with Our Free Crowdfunding Platform for Color Runs
Are you looking to organize an unforgettable fundraising event for your organization? Look no further than a Color Run fundraiser! Color Runs are a fun choice for nonprofit and school fundraising events alike. Our donor-friendly Color Run fundraising websites with peer-to-peer functionality can help make your event a huge success. So get ready to have a blast and make more money than ever with an exciting and creative color run.
Utilize Color Run Fundraising Websites for Success
A P2P crowdfunding website is essential to securely raising money with a color run fundraiser. Crowdfunding websites make it easy for your participants to share their fundraising page and get online donations from friends and family. Some key features of our software for color runs include:
- Personal and team fundraising pages are the heart of the system. Each participant has a fundraising page that can be personalized with images, videos, a mission statement, Donate Now button, a fundraising thermometer, and social media links.
- Multiple registration types for day and night color run fundraisers and easy check-in and event day registration.
- Prize management features. Track multiple award levels and print reports to easily distribute prizes. When participants reach a certain fundraising level, they get a prize widget on their personal fundraising page.
- Reporting capabilities for administrators. Always be able to check the progress of your Color Run registration and fundraising progress in real-time so that you can plan that extra push to promote your event strategically.
- Free text to donate for all US-based organizations.
What Is a Color Run and How Do They Work?
A Color Run is a non-competitive Fun Run where participants and observers throw brightly colored paint powder on the runners. All participants should wear white to make the most of the colorful splashes. Supporters will enjoy this event simply because it’s about having fun and sharing the love.
Kids love color-run fundraisers, and by using paint or powder that is non-toxic, everyone can participate. School fundraising campaigns and PTO fundraising groups especially have great success with Color Run fundraisers because of how universally enjoyable the events are for students from elementary to high school.
As a fundraiser, a color run is planned just like a walkathon fundraiser in which crowdfunding participants and teams collect donations to raise money for your campaign and cause. Top fundraisers are rewarded and everyone joins in the fun.
The After Party and Celebration is a Color Run must! Our fundraising ideas below for the after-party add more ways for you to raise funds.
How to Organize a Color Run in 7 Steps
Let’s review the seven key steps to hosting this colorful fundraising event for your nonprofit or school.
1. Establish a Color Run Planning Committee
While Color Fun Runs can be quite worthwhile to plan, they are a complex fundraiser. Don’t try to go it alone – you’ll need a strong committee of dedicated staff and volunteers to make the event run smoothly and reach fundraising goals. Find committee members with dedication, experience, and time to commit to get your color run off on the right foot.
2. Select the Perfect Color Run Venue
The first step for the Color Run committee is finding the ideal space to host a color run fundraiser. Ideally, a closed space, such as a school football field or track, or a large parking lot would be a great option. Allow for ample room for spectators to cheer on the runners. The venue should also have a dedicated area for warming up with dancing or yoga. Then there is the after-party, where you can provide music, drinks, and food. The after-party is a huge part of a color run fundraiser, as everyone is having so much fun and wants to take pictures and show off their colors. This provides a venue for further fundraising and promoting your cause.
3. Manage Event Logistics and Financials
When organizing a color run, your school or charity is trying to raise as much money as possible. This doesn’t just happen – you need a financial plan to be successful. Use a fundraising budget template and know your numbers throughout the event planning process.
Some logistical items to keep in mind when budgeting include:
- The Color Powder: Participants are given a packet of color powder to have fun as they please. You can also make these available to parents and spectators for a fee to create a fun atmosphere and raise additional funds.
- Water and Snacks for the Racers: Be sure to hydrate your event participants. Energy bars, apples, and healthy snacks are also great to provide after the event.
- Participant Race Bibs: Printing of bibs and items needed to attach the bibs. These are not usually necessary for school fundraisers.
- Runner Accessories: These include t-shirts and headbands, but they can be optional if the budget does not allow for these additional costs. Simply let your walkathon participants know they only need a white t-shirt.
- Winner’s Medals or Certificates: While this run is not competitive, and participants are welcome to walk for a cause at their own pace or race to the finish line, a great souvenir for the first-place runners can be a medal of recognition.
- Prizes for Top Fundraisers: A great way to excite participants is by offering coveted prizes for your run.
- Rentals: These could include speakers, podiums, tables, carnival games, and more.
4. Utilize Color Run Software for Registrations and Donations
It is vital to make it easy for participants to register and raise money for the color run fundraiser. An essential tool for ensuring the registration process is seamless is a trustworthy peer-to-peer fundraising platform. Our software provides easy registration and even participant import options, which many elementary school fundraising groups like to use. You can also collect t-shirt sizes or other information during the registration process.
A crowdfunding website is essential to securely raise money with a color run fundraiser. Crowdfunding websites make it easy for your participants to customize and share their personal pages to get donations for your school or charitable cause. Participants send emails or social media links to their friends and family, who securely donate on their page.
DoJiggy is the Leader in Walk-a-thon and Color Run Fundraising Websites
Use our Color Run websites for free with optional tips from your donors to cover the platform fees. Some key features of our Color Fun Run platform include:
- Simplified registration for Check-In and race bib assignment. Checking in participants is a breeze with our platform.
- Leaderboards, fundraising thermometers, and gamification elements help to motivate your fundraising participants.
- Prize management functionality. Track multiple award levels and print reports to easily distribute prizes. When participants reach a certain fundraising level, they get a prize widget on their personal crowdfunding page.
- Team and individual registration. All participants can easily create or join teams. Team fundraising (usually classrooms for schools) can boost your fundraising success! Find out how to handle different registration types to maximize your funds.
5. Give a Boost to Fundraising Efforts
Add additional fundraising ideas that serve as an opportunity to generate extra funds. These ideas can be incorporated before the event, at the after-party, or online. Here are some fundraising tips to consider for earning extra revenue.
- Sell Color Run Merchandise: Consider selling themed costume accessories such as glow sticks, unicorn headbands, t-shirts, sunglasses, and even tutus. Merchandise sales can even be made online with your eCommerce store.
- Host a Fundraising Raffle: Acquire local sponsors to donate prizes and sell raffle tickets to your supporters.
- Sell Food and Drinks: You can choose the option of having food trucks on-site (who donate a percentage of sales), or you can solicit in-kind donations of food and drinks and sell them for additional funds. Another of the best party fundraising ideas is to host a tailgate/BBQ party after the run. Will this be feasible based on the number of hungry runners participating?
- Sell Tickets to the After-Party: School fundraisers can include bouncy houses and carnival-like games at the after-party. Change a fee for those who did not fundraise.
6. Focus on Event Sponsorships
Sponsors are a pivotal factor in making an ordinary walk for a cause event into an extraordinary one. One of the ways to boost your walkathon fundraising is to offer sponsorship packages that local businesses can consider to gain exposure and build brand reputation by supporting your charity or school. A significant source of color-run funds often comes from event sponsors. Here are some incentives to offer when building your sponsorship package:
- Brand Exposure: An initial level of brand exposure can include sponsor logos on marketing collateral, social media posts, and banners. A mid-level tier incentive can add the opportunity for sponsors to hang their banners at the event. A higher level of brand exposure can include the opportunity to exclusively brand their logo on widely distributed merchandise, like headbands or t-shirts. Also, special mentions or a brief speaking slot during announcements are other great perks for high-level sponsors.
- Hosting Tables: Within the after-party area, another sponsorship perk can include hosting a table for sponsors to interact with participants and potential customers/clients. This is especially a great benefit for parallel industries to events related to health and wellness.
- In-Kind Donations: While monetary donations are fantastic, in-kind donations can significantly minimize event costs. These can include bottled water, printing services for race bibs, donated food or beverages, t-shirts, or other items to run a color run successfully. If you’re hosting a raffle or silent auction, attractive prizes are key.
7. Promote the Color Run Fundraiser
Promoting your event is the first and last most important step in organizing a successful color run. Here are some helpful tips:
- Collaborate: Reach out to other organizations to combine efforts and work on the event together, especially if the organizations share similar audiences without overlapping services.
- Social Media: Social media is a powerful method of promoting your color run, especially as people like to share fun events. Plan out the social media calendar to keep the momentum of your crowdfunding event going. Posts can include promoting a color run sponsor each week, statistics relevant to your cause, campaign goals and achievements, supporter or volunteer of the week for recognition, and more.
- Flyers: Get a group of volunteers and hit the streets to post flyers at local businesses and community centers, including coffee shops, grocery stores, restaurants, and more.
- Local Media: Color run fundraisers are unique events that can provide a great topic for local media. Contact local TV and radio stations to inquire about PSAs and coverage of your event.
Why Choose DoJiggy for Your Color Run Website?
Organizing and planning a color run fundraiser from start to finish is seamless when powered by our software for crowdfunding events.
Keep More Donations
Compare our software prices, and we think you’ll decide to choose DoJiggy. We offer a free website option with no hidden costs. Other sites charge 10% and more of your fundraising dollars.
We Are Experienced and Trusted
Since 2003, we have helped thousands of organizations raise money online. We have maintained our customers’ trust and continuously seek the most innovative fundraising website solutions.
Social Media Integration
The success of your fundraising campaign hinges on your participant’s fundraising abilities. Easy social media integration on all pages makes sharing your color run easy for supporters.
We Have Great Customer Support
We support you at no extra cost. Reach us by live chat or email and receive excellent customer support – we’re not a huge company, and we are there for you when you need help.
Tips for Working with Color Run Powder
While some organizations opt to save money by making their own color powder, most groups purchase the color powder in bulk and distribute it in small cups or zip-lock bags. There are several online suppliers where you can buy colored powder. Do an online search and select a non-toxic option, usually made from cornstarch.
So, how much color powder do you need for the run? That is based on how many Color Run participants you have and how you plan to spread the color.
Provide Color Stations
Generally, there are color powder stations where volunteers or spectators can throw color paint on your event participants. Each station can consist of one or more color powders. For example, if your school decides to have three color stations – one station might be blue, one yellow, and one red. Or, you can allow your color throwers to use any color they choose. If your group plans on having multiple colors at a station, you will probably use more powder.
You certainly don’t want to run out of color at your color run! Depending on the number of stations, it’s recommended that you have half to one full pound of powder per participant.
Clean Up After the Color Run
While getting messy is a big part of the fun, not everyone enjoys staying so colorful. To ensure your supporters return next year, provide a clean-up or blow-off station. Volunteers can accomplish this using electric leaf blowers or extra-large floor fans. Place the clean-up station near the parking lot so participants can easily walk through and clean up before returning to their vehicles. You may also want to recommend that supporters bring towels or extra clothing so they don’t get color powder all over the interior of their cars. Clothing can then be washed normally in a washing machine.
Why Not Make Your Next Fun Run a Color Run?
Walkathons and runs with a theme make the event fun and memorable for participants. Many people have participated in Color Runs as participants, spectators, or supporters. Since thousands of people worldwide are signing up to participate in color-run fundraisers, imagine how successful your organization could be with so many advocates to raise money for your cause. Holding such a popular event is a way to brand your organization by putting it in the limelight and attracting more donors.
Promoting a Color Run Fundraiser
Social Media Posts
Color Run Flyers
Color Run Fundraisers for Schools
Color Runs are the perfect fundraiser for schools, as they encourage youth exercise and team building. Students get excited about the big day and are happy to fundraise for their school. The best school fun runs and jog-a-thons include training time for the kids, team-building exercises for classrooms that are working together to raise funds, and school spirit pep rallies and initiatives. Adding unique Color Run ideas and themes – costumes, games, after-parties, and more – that add fun are always encouraged.
With our P2P crowdfunding websites, each participant easily creates a personal fundraising page where photos and videos are uploaded, personal mission statements are shared, and secure online donations are collected. Families easily send the link of their fundraising website to family and friends in advance of the event and share it across social media channels. By making the school event an online fundraising campaign, participants are able to expand their reach and raise more money.
More Fundraising Ideas to Boost a Color Run
In addition to raising donations on your color run website, use the event and after-party as a fundraising opportunity. A great theme for a color run fundraiser may evolve around art and encouragement to create. Fundraising ideas around art and color are endless. Let the creativity of your nonprofit fundraising campaign be known, and put your creative hats on to come up with these color run fundraising ideas.
- Sell white t-shirts, hats, and bandannas, as well as paint color packs so that runners and observers alike can purchase them and get colored. Consider your audience – selling paint packets may not be the right choice for school events.
- Nighttime events can sell glow-in-the-dark necklaces, bracelets, and jewelry.
- Face painting and finger painting booths can be included in the after-party.
- Host a fundraising raffle with great prizes.
- An arts and crafts sale would add a layer of sophistication and create another fundraising opportunity. Bring the art sale to the celebration, and get local galleries and artists involved.