The success of a fundraising campaign begins with having a creative fundraising idea that’s not only effective at raising money, but will excite donors and volunteers alike. Your school or non-profit organization can set yourself apart from the crowd with these unique fundraising ideas. From handyman auctions to babysitting for charity, you’re sure to find some fun and easy ideas that will work for your organization in the list below.
Raffles & Auction Fundraising Ideas
Raffles & auctions are classic ways to raise funds at your charity event and relatively easy to organize. Add fun twists to attract more donors and keep people engaged and having fun at your event. Learn how to run a raffle fundraiser and solicit an in-kind donation for your event.
- 50/50 Raffle: Sell tickets to a raffle. 50% of the proceeds from ticket sales go towards your charity, the other half goes to the winner.
- Mystery Box Raffle: Put together a mystery box of goods and sell tickets. Winner takes all!
- Restaurant Raffle: Team up with a local restaurant and offer a dinner for two for the winner of the raffle.
- Cash Prize Raffle: Offer different cash prizes that people can win. The more tickets people buy, the better the chance of winning!
- New Car Raffle: A raffle for a new car will often draw in a very large amount of people because it appeals to everyone. Sell tickets for $100 apiece, or more!
- Services Auction: Partner with local businesses that will offer an in-kind donation of their services. Auction off their services and the businesses get free advertising, and you raise money for your charity.
- Themed Gift Basket Auction: Put together themed gift baskets to auction, like a grilling basket, beach party basket – even a holiday gift basket will work.
- Vacation Auction: Let people bid on different vacation packages, like staying in a hotel in a neighboring town, or taking a hot air balloon ride. For larger vacation packages, see our Auction Travel Packages.
- Handyman Auction: Team up with a local handyman, and auction his or her services. The highest bidder gets them for a day to fix whatever’s needed around the house.
- Online Charity Auction: No event is needed, so costs are low. Simply use charity auction software to post your auction items online.
- Bachelor Auction: Introduce bachelors to your audience, and people can bid on a dinner and night on the town with the eligible suitor.
Non-Profit Fundraising Event Ideas
Hosting a non-profit fundraising event is a wonderful way to network with businesses and potential donors while raising money and awareness for your cause. For this reason, most non-profits include special events in their non-profit fundraising strategy.
- Lunch with a Celebrity: Great for small towns, you can sell raffle tickets to win a lunch with a local celebrity, like the mayor or a news anchor.
- Jail & Bail: People at your event can pay to put someone in “jail”. People in jail have to pay or raise funds on your crowdfunding website to be bailed out.
- Event Services Fundraising: Have volunteers provide different services at your event, like valet parking, bartending, and serving. All tips collected go towards your charity.
- Game Night: Host a game night with different fun games like trivia and Twister. Sell tickets to play each game.
- Walk-a-thon Fundraiser: A healthy option that gets everyone raising money for your cause. Mix it up with a color run or themed Fun run/walk event.
- Breakfast Networking: Hold a breakfast fundraiser and invite all your donors and other local businesses. It’s a great way to get everyone to network. You can host a raffle to raise additional funds, and charge per plate.
- Community BBQ: A great way to engage a community is to hold a low-brow event where you grill hot dogs and hamburgers for charity. Be sure to include veggie burgers as a healthy option.
- Cocktail Party: Team up with a local restaurant or hotel to host a cocktail party. Have a percentage of drink sales go towards your charity.
- Mini Carnival: Host a miniature carnival at your local park or school. Have different games, contests, and raffles, and sell tickets for each game.
- Spin-a-thon: Spin-a-thons are run similar to traditional bike-a-thon fundraisers, but held in one place on stationary bikes. Team up with a local gym or YMCA to host a spin-a-thon for your charity or cause.
- Wine Tasting: Host a wine tasting fundraiser and auction off wine related items.
Tournament Fundraising Ideas
Tournaments and contests can be a great way to put the “fun” in fundraising. Here are some creative ways to host a fun contest or tournament and raise money for your non-profit or charity at the same time.
- Board Game Contest: Charge an entry fee to enter a board game tournament, with the winners receiving prizes.
- Golf Tournament: A classic way to raise funds, host a fundraising golf tournament. Raise money through golfer fees, donations and solicit local businesses for sponsorships. For a creative twist, consider a Golf Marathon.
- Bowling Tournament: Sell tickets to a bowling tournament, with a cash prize for the winner.
- Vegas Night: Set up a casino night where participants can play charity poker and blackjack. Provide great food and entertainment for partners that don’t play.
- Dance Marathon Tournament: Sell tickets to a dance marathon. Whichever pair lasts the longest on the dance floor can claim a cash prize.
- Themed Party: Choose a theme for your party, like a Hawaiian Luau. Have guests dress up to the theme, and charge an entrance fee and sell raffle tickets on your non-profit website.
- Miniature Golf Tournament: This has a wide appeal, especially for families. Team up with local businesses to offer prizes at each hole and charge an admission fee.
- Pool Tournament: Partner with a local pool bar. For every ball that a player knocks in, they donate $1, with the winner receiving a prize.
Unique School Fundraising Ideas
These creative school fundraisers are perfect for raising money, helping the school community, and keeping things fun. Some are more tailored to high school fundraising and others are great elementary school fundraisers.
- Babysitting: Students can offer babysitting services during a fundraising event such as a wine tasting, with the proceeds going to your charity.
- School Fun Run: Students and classrooms raise funds and get exercise at the same time. Consider adding an obstacle course as part of the fundraiser, to make it even more fun for kids.
- Car Wash Fundraiser: Students can offer to wash cars for $5 or more, with the proceeds going to their charity or group. Don’t forget to include student made sandwiches and drinks, to raise more money. Great idea for high school band fundraisers.
- Face Painting: Great for elementary and middle school fundraising, students can paint each other or teacher’s faces for a fee.
- Children’s Cookbook: Kids and parents can write down their favorite recipes and instructions on how to make them. Gather the recipes together and sell the books.
- Bracelet Sale: Students can create different types of bracelets, like friendship or charm bracelets. Have all of the materials and some expert teachers on hand.
- Games & Goodies: Have people come together to play board, card, and other games. Charge admission, then sell drinks and other baked goodies to attendees.
- Can & Bottle Drive: Students collect as many used cans and bottles they can find. The student who collects the most wins a prize, and everything they collect can be turned in to a recycling center for funds – plus it helps keep parks and streets clean.
- Door-to-door for Change: Have students go door to door collecting loose change. Great as a contest to see who can collect the most. Be sure that kids go in groups of two or more, for safety.
- Gas Station Attendant: Great for high school fundraising, team up with a local gas station for students to provide gas station attendant services. They can wash windshields, or pump gas to help raise funds. Works well with a Car Wash.
- Chore Fundraising: Have students do chores or service projects for those who donate, like gardening or washing windows. Of course, be sure that kids volunteer in groups of two or more and with an adult, for safety.
- Dressing Down for Charity: Great for schools and offices, students, teachers or workers get to dress casually for a day (or every Friday) if a specific amount of money is donated.
Bake Sales & Food Fundraising Ideas
Ok, so a bake sale may not sound like a unique fundraising idea! Bake sales have been used for decades to help raise money for charities and schools, because everyone needs to eat. Here are some creative ideas on how to use food to fundraise.
- Bake Sale: A classic that’s been used for years, you can bake pies, cookies or other items and sell them to raise funds. Consider offering gluten free and dairy free options, so everyone can enjoy a treat.
- Goody Baskets: Pack baskets full of candy, cookie dough, chips, and baked goods and sell them. Another idea for a successful fundraiser is to sell raffle tickets with baskets as the prize.
- Dinner Gala: Host a themed fundraising gala event including a silent auction. Recruit sponsors to help cover expenses.
- Chili Cook-off: People love to show off their chili recipe. Charge per bowl or plate, and give the winner a cash prize. This event can also be run as a non-profit crowdfunding campaign.
- Pizza Party: Pizza parties have a wide appeal because everyone loves pizza. Charge by the slice or whole pie, with the profits going to raise funds for your charity.
- Potluck Dinner: Great for school or church fundraisers, have everyone bring a dish to the potluck. Sell tickets for each plate and drinks.
- Coffee & Doughnuts: An easy one to setup, and great for winter. Sell coffee and doughnuts outside construction areas, grocery stores, shops, or schools to raise funds.
- Farm to Table Dinners: If your community has local farmers and organic producers, hosting a farm to table fundraiser is a unique fundraising idea that speaks highly of your organization.
- Baked Goods at the Game: Sell various baked goods and other goodies at your local or high school sports games, with proceeds going to raise funds for your charity.