With World Environmental Day right around the corner on June 5th, it’s the perfect time to think about ideas for socially and environmentally responsible fundraisers. Raising money for a good cause is paramount to any nonprofit but it’s not their only mission. Educating communities and bringing people together for the greater good are also high on many organizations’ values and goals lists.
So let’s dive into our easy guide on how to make your fundraisers socially and environmentally friendly. We’ll also throw in some of the best sustainable fundraising ideas and a few eco-friendly fundraisers for schools to get you started.
Here’s What We’ll Cover
- Why Make your Fundraisers Socially and Environmentally Friendly?
- How to Make Fundraisers Sustainable and Eco-Friendly
- Socially and Eco-Friendly Fundraising Ideas
- 5 Eco-Friendly Fundraisers for Schools
- Conclusions on Socially And Environmentally Responsible Fundraising
This may seem like an obvious question to many, but by highlighting the benefits of creating an eco-friendly fundraiser, you’ll see why it’s the future of fundraising. The main goal is to reduce the impact of your organization’s fundraiser on our planet. By implementing simple changes we can help lessen consumerism, promote healthier choices, educate people about caring for the earth and raise valuable funds for a good cause in the process.
Don’t forget that many corporations and government bodies are keen to align themselves as sponsors and major donors to nonprofits that are creating environmentally friendly and socially conscious fundraising events. This is also the case for many Millennials wanting to be remembered for their philanthropic efforts and involvement in environmental efforts.
How to Make Fundraisers Sustainable and Eco-Friendly
This is actually incredibly simple. By switching some old habits for new green solutions, your organization can transform charity events into eco-friendly fundraisers in no time at all. Here are just a few ideas to consider:
- Always opt for recycling
- Look for options to reduce waste
- Shop locally or work with companies committed to reducing their carbon footprints
- Incorporate sustainable energy where possible
- Fundraise outdoors (with walk-a-thons, golf marathons, or bike-a-thons) rather than spending on venues, catering, electricity costs, and transport
- Align your fundraiser with eco-friendly and socially responsible sponsors
Once your organization starts to implement these simple changes into its fundraising strategy, it might be difficult to go back to your old habits. Consider how the benefits of going green can outweigh the cons, especially when it comes to exceeding your fundraising goals while keeping outgoing costs to a minimum, and reducing your nonprofit’s impact on the planet.
Give traditional fundraisers a green boost with our list of socially and eco-friendly fundraising ideas. With a few tweaks here and there, your organization can transform a classic charity campaign into a sustainable and socially responsible fundraiser that our planet will be forever grateful for. Take a look at some of our best eco-friendly fundraising ideas for World Environmental Day 2022.
Crowdfunding is a great way to bring like-minded people together to raise money and awareness for a green cause. There are so many peer to peer crowdfunding ideas that fall into the eco-friendly fundraising category, which help improve people’s lives and the environment.
Here are a few eco-friendly crowdfunding ideas to consider:
- Tree-a-thon or Plant-a-thon – Get planting trees, seeds, and bulbs to encourage your community to learn about sustainability, gardening, and agriculture
- Move-a-thons – Get outdoors and moving by hosting a 5K virtual race or a school fun run
- A rubbish clean-up in your area, where collected waste products can be bagged and taken to the local recycling center
Eco-friendly crowdfunding is the perfect opportunity to share your nonprofit’s story, engage supporters and raise valuable funds. So what are you waiting for? Set up your free P2P fundraising page and get started today to make a long-lasting difference to our planet.
Host a coffee morning or breakfast fundraiser to get people eating and drinking together while raising money for a great cause. To optimize your fundraiser’s profitability and success, why not add a fundraising auction to exceed fundraising goals and make a real impact on your community.
How to Make it Eco-Friendly
- Rather than renting a venue, ask a volunteer to host at their house or garden.
- Ask volunteers and participants to bring food and donate tea and coffee to reduce consumerism levels.
- Look for in-kind donations from fair trade companies that could provide tea and coffee and a spokesperson to educate your donors on the importance of where our food comes from.
- Sell custom-printed reusable coffee and tea mugs as part of the event. This will save on washing up once everyone has left!
- Use compostable plates and utensils instead of styrofoam and plastic.
Encourage people to buy custom reusable shopping bags and help save the environment. This is a great sustainable product to sell on your free eCommerce store, as it’s something that everyone needs nowadays. Why not make it more fun and create a range of custom designs aligned to your eco-friendly fundraising theme?
How to Make it Eco-Friendly
- Use recycled or sustainable material for your shopping bags.
- Make sure to source locally or with eco/socially responsible companies.
Summer is approaching rapidly and what better way to welcome the warm weather than with a classic fair or organic farmer’s market. Raise funds for a good cause and enjoy community fundraising at its best with a green fair. Make money on every ticket purchased, drink sipped, food munched, raffle chanced and face painted. Don’t forget to provide a large variety of eco-friendly products and services to emphasize your mission and educate the community about how to make a difference to the planet.
How to Make it Eco-Friendly
- Make sure to draw attention to local businesses that support and sell eco-friendly products and services.
- Invite local farmers and growers to sell their products and give mini-seminars.
- Reduce waste by implementing a ‘no waste’ policy where attendees are required to take their trash home with them after the event.
- Use as many recycled and sustainable products as possible.
- Ask attendees to bring reusable containers to take their food purchases home with them.
5 Eco-Friendly Fundraisers for Schools
It’s essential to educate future generations about the importance of helping the environment. Eco-friendly fundraisers are a great way to achieve this while raising money for a good cause. Take a look at our top eco-friendly fundraisers for schools and start making a difference.
Let’s face it, books can be pricey and they’re not great for the environment. With high levels of paper, ink, and damaging environmental costs caused by book production and shipping, it’s safe to say that it’s environmentally friendlier to buy used books. So, why not host a second-hand book fundraiser and teach school kids about the importance of recycling while promoting literacy and reading. As an add-on to this fundraising event to raise even more awareness and funds for your chosen cause, why not organize a read-a-thon with their newly purchased books?
With the rapid rise in ‘one-wear’ and ‘fast fashion, it’s important to teach future generations about the necessity of recycling clothes. Organize a clothes and textiles recycling fundraiser, where children bring in old apparel to either be donated to a chosen charity or receive money per kilo of clothing to be donated to their cause. This is a great learning experience that is both socially and environmentally friendly.
Plan a Community Yard Sale
Sticking with the idea of recycling old goods, how about planning a community rummage sale as an eco-friendly fundraiser? As the saying goes, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, and this couldn’t be truer than with a rummage sale. All you need is to advertise on social media, your fundraising page, flyers, and through word of mouth that you’re holding a big yard sale at your school, and let everyone know where the proceeds will be going to.
Run a T-shirt Fundraiser
If you’re thinking of selling a product for your eco-friendly school fundraiser, make sure to choose something that people actually use and will draw attention to the cause you’re raising funds for. T-shirt fundraisers are a great way to get your charity’s message across and build your nonprofit’s brand. To ensure that it’s an eco-friendly fundraiser, opt for organic cotton or sustainably made t-shirts and consider shipping options that guarantee minimum impact on the environment. Just set up a free school spirit wear store online and distribute t-shirts one week after school.
To really get the kids hyped up about fundraising, why not host a t-shirt designing contest? The best designs will then be sold in your free eCommerce store, where people will pay to own the winning design, promote your message while wearing the sustainable product and raise money for a deserving cause. It’s a win-win!
Many electronic devices are being disposed of improperly and causing irreversible damage to the environment. To help with this problem, host an eco-friendly school fundraiser, where you set up a collection point to gather a variety of electronic devices to be recycled and/or exchanged for cash. This is a great way to raise funds for your school or PTO group, teach children about the dangers of improperly disposing of certain products and the importance of recycling. Here are some common electronic devices to collect:
- Cell phones
- MP3 players
- Ink cartridges
It’s not difficult to start making small changes to your nonprofit fundraisers that can make a lasting difference in the lives and nature of our planet. By promoting healthier and more sustainable choices through our fundraising methods, the next generations will start to see a positive impact and be more likely to make eco-friendly decisions.
You can create successful fundraisers and help the Earth at the same time.