Community based fundraising events are a great option for church fundraisers. Plan for community fundraising events and activities that require cooperation and encourage involvement for families and your congregation. For most events, you’ll raise funds by selling treats or handicrafts, by charging admission or a ticket price, or by collecting donations at the event.
Church community fundraising is a great opportunity to grow your congregation and build relationships with other community groups! Here are a few suggestions of types of community based fundraising events to get you started:
- Community picnics and bake sales: Have members of the congregations prepare food and sell items to raise funds for your church. Tie the event in with food that’s in season. For instance in the summer offer strawberry shortcake, jams and fresh vegetables. In Fall have pumpkin bread and apple pies, etc. This is a great way to utilize resources and talents and offer a time for your congregation to socialize while raising funds. While you’re at it, why not collect all the recipes and offer a Church Cook book for sale at a very reasonable price? People are always excited to learn about a new, tasty recipe that is easy to make.
- Car washes: This can be very easy to execute. You can set up right in the parking lot of your church and charge a small fee (i.e. $10 donation). People of all ages can participate. This can be fun for the kids and for the adults. And why not sell lemonade, cookies or other things while guests are waiting for their car to be clean?
- Community classes: Workshops hosted by congregation members which might include cooking classes or other traits such as knitting or sewing: Schedule an afternoon or evening where community members can sign up and pay a small donation to learn a new skill. This is a win-win situation. People are always looking for ways to expand their skills and find new hobbies they may be interested in, but learning a new trait may not always be so easy to do.
- Daycare Services: Churches could choose to host an event such as a “Parents Night Out” where babysitting services are provided for a $10 donation per child. Parents are able to go out to dinner or to a movie without having to pay a babysitter for numerous hours to watch their children at home. Plus, the kids get to play with other children their age. Remember to take proper safety precautions for any event that involves children.
- Yard Sale Fundraiser: At least once a year, people clean out their closets, garages and storage units and look for opportunities to donate these items. Reach out to members of your congregation and local community and offer to sell their donated goods at a Church Yard Sale. This event could easily be hosted on a Sunday afternoon following church services in the cafeteria or parking lot. Consider offering pick-up services for people donating items, as this may greatly increase your sales inventory and help you raise more money by selling high-ticket items, such as furniture.
Whatever you decide on for your church community fundraiser, be sure to promote it throughout the local community. Add your event to community calendars, post announcements on bulletin boards, include an announcement on your web site, in your newsletter and make announcement at your weekly church service. Remember that hosting any event requires the assistance of volunteers, and various details to manage including event set-up, organizing collection of donated goods, promoting the event, and managing money. DoJiggy offers event-management software to help you safely collect donations, and manage the details of your church community fundraising event!