Non-profit CRM and donor management software promotes growth, sustainability and structure for a non-profit organization that is seeking to take their fundraising goals to the next level. While spreadsheets and utilizing various websites to handle your events and fundraising campaigns can be a good starting point for an organization, there comes a point when it becomes unmanageable to keep all of these tools and functions separate. You need to practice strong data management to succeed. That’s why utilizing nonprofit CRM software is so vital for a non-profit organization to scale and grow.
What is Non-Profit CRM Software?
CRM stands for customer (or client) relationship management. While customers are not quite the term used for non-profit organizations, CRM software is a great tool to manage the different constituents and parties that make up and support a non-profit organization’s community. Here are the various types of data that can be funneled into a CRM platform that make up the multi-dimensional facets of a non-profit organization:
- Donors: Donor information includes name, contact information, lifetime donations, activity of donations, past attendance of events, participation in fundraising campaigns, referral sources, types of donor memberships, status of donor conversion (i.e. how they were referred, whether they were contacted and when, status of donation, follow-up details etc.).
- Sponsors: Sponsor information includes name of company or individual, contact information, types of sponsorships offered (monetary or in-kind, and what type of in-kind donations), status of sponsorship conversion (i.e. how they were referred, whether they were contacted and when, status of donation, follow-up details etc.), lifetime sponsorship donations, tax information, gift receipt information.
- Volunteers: Volunteer information includes contact information, types of experience, past events volunteered, attendance for upcoming volunteer opportunities.
- Event Attendees: Event information includes contact information, ticket-type purchased, and event sales activity.
- Vendors and Venues: Vendors and venues information includes contact information, pricing information, contract term details, notations of past experiences, ratings of vendors and venues.
- Public Relations/Media/Advertising: Contact information, websites, costs to advertise, links to press releases sent in past, effectiveness of media outlet.
- Newsletter Subscribers (Mailing List): The mailing list includes contact information, and, if it is for newsletters, the email open rate, click-through rate of emails, conversion rate (whether a newsletter subscriber became a donor) and other newsletter activity.
Introducing Affordable Non-profit CRM Software Consultation and Migration
Benefits of Utilizing Non-Profit CRM & Donor Management Software
Nonprofit CRM software can be extremely powerful to a non-profit organization by being able to bring all of the various information that affects the success and growth of an organization in one place. Let’s talk about the benefits that a non-profit organization will gain by using a nonprofit CRM software solution.
Streamlining Information: Finding Activity All in One Place
The first and most observable reason why a CRM software is so attractive for a non-profit is being able to find all of your information in one place. Over time, finding such vital data from over half a dozen websites, tools and software platforms becomes overwhelming. When information is scattered across such various locations it often lives in a vacuum, without regards to whether the data overlaps with other data and activity outside of the original source. This downfall can threaten donor loyalty, something you certainly don’t want to risk! Contacting donors and prospects too often (or by multiple people within the organization), not being able to strategize your outreach properly and being misinformed when planning for growth are all risks. When information is streamlined in one place, it is easier to see the lifespan of a prospect or donor, as well as the lifespan of event planning and sponsorship planning.
Tools for Everything Non-Profit
A robust nonprofit CRM not only funnels information into one database, but can be versatile enough to offer other useful non-profit fundraising tools. Think of it as your Swiss Army Knife with all of your nonprofit and fundraising needs integrated in one place. This includes integrations and add-ons for such tools as the following:
- Non-profit Crowdfunding
- Peer-to-peer Fundraising
- Donations & Donor Management
- Fundraising Event Management
- Golf Tournament Management
- Non-Profit Websites
- Email Marketing & Newsletter Management
- And more
When thinking about streamlining information, it is more than just importing information that has already existed elsewhere. Streamlining information includes funneling real time activity with all of these fundraising tools into your non-profit’s CRM software platform. For every person that has begun a crowdfunding or peer-to-peer fundraising campaign, subscribed for the newsletter or bought a ticket to an event, these actions should seamlessly integrate with and update into the CRM software.
Planning for Growth Rather Than Just Staying Afloat
When this information becomes accessible from one easy-to-access place, this allows for powerful and effective analysis to plan for growth. Non-profit organizations should always build on their past successes, never starting over each time they plan for something new. A non-profit CRM platform becomes most appealing when the data can give informative insights about donor activity. Reports might include helpful information, such as the following:
- What are the demographics of your donor base?
- What fundraising campaigns are most effective at bringing in new supporters?
- What were the costs and benefits of your annual signature events?
- What channels are most productive for gaining new volunteers?
- Do you have strong monthly recurring donors or could you target new supporters for this program?
- Who can you approach for a major gift or corporate sponsorship?
These are just some questions that can be a good starting point for planning on an annual, quarterly or monthly basis. Some CRM platforms can also offer a customizable dashboard for the most important metrics that matter to your organization. Such data can continue to weed out poor planning strategies and ineffective outreach methods, expand upon the ones that work best and keep your finger on the pulse of the most up-to-date progress.
Scaling for Growth
Building a successful non-profit organization takes a strong, resourceful and communicative team. This means that your non-profit CRM software will have an administrative feature that can scale as your organization grows. The administrative features should be customizable to only access certain databases or features, or vary by editing or viewing rights. And as the board or staff grows, it becomes simple to share access to the information with newcomers without having to sift through multiple log-ins of different tools and websites to give them all the necessary information to hit the ground running in their role.
Saving Time: Automation Through Donor Behavior
While some tasks can be cumbersome to remember to do, others actions that follow certain donor behavior should never change. This includes thank you notifications for donors after a certain action (like giving a donation or attending an event), an appreciation letter for volunteers after an event, reminders of event details for crowdfunding events, tips for successful peer-to-peer fundraising efforts after joining and more. Planning one-step ahead of your donor helps build donor loyalty and keeps your organization mindful that there is still more to do after the first interaction with donors, volunteers and sponsors.
With understanding the advantages of using a CRM software to help grow your donor base, reach your fundraising goals and gain more supporters, stay put for our next article on tips on how to utilize DoJiggy’s CRM software integrations to achieve these goals. We are available to discuss non-profit CRM options and migrations. Let us help you succeed!