Support Your Community While Raising Money for Your School!
A student serve-a-thon is a unique and meaningful school fundraising idea to consider. A serve-a-thon is a peer-to-peer fundraising event that not only provides fundraising dollars for your school or organization, but also makes a positive impact on the community. In a student serve-a-thon, students and classrooms raise funds by committing to completing a service project in the local community.
Serve-a-thons work very similarly to walk-a-thons, in terms of fundraising management. Students raise money by reaching out to family and friends and asking for pledges and donations to help their school. People interested in donating go online to a student’s personal fundraising page. On this page the student has the ability to upload photos and videos, explain the mission of the fundraiser, and expand on the type of service they will provide.
Our Peer-to-Peer Software Makes Serve-a-thon Fundraisers More Successful.
Features of our powerful Serve-a-thon Websites include:
- Participants have their own fundraising page which is easily shared via email and social media
- Classrooms or grade levels have fundraising pages which include all participants’ combined fundraising progress
- Fundraising thermometers, Leaderboards and top fundraisers are tracked and displayed on your website (if desired) to promote competition between your participants and help you raise more
- Privacy features are enabled, so that last names do not show on your website and student pages are not indexed in Google
- Off-line donations and checks are easily tracked and entered from a pledge form to the software, at no additional cost
- Administrators can import students or enable the easy registration for schools page
- We support per unit of effort pledges based on the amount of time served
Your fundraising website should provide detailed information about where the money raised will go, so donors know exactly what they are contributing to. For example, they should state that the funding will go towards new books, or building new library facilities, or helping to save JV sports teams from being discontinued due to budget cuts.
Types of Projects that Work for Serve-a-thons
Typically, the school selects a specific day for the serve-a-thon to take place. This can be a Saturday or during a regular school day – kids enjoy that. On this day, the students volunteer their time serving various organizations in the community. Try to find a project or task that can be completed on the day of the serve-a-thon, so kids can see the fruit of their labors.
Service projects can be customized to serve the relevant needs in your area. Common organizations to assist include:
- helping homeless and crisis shelters,
- assisting the elderly,
- caring for less fortunate children,
- writing letters to inmates or home-bound persons,
- participating in environmental clean-up and conservation programs and
- appreciating active duty military.
One of the biggest benefits about a school fundraising program like this is that students learn to become servant leaders while helping their school meet its financial need.
Other Peer-to-Peer Resources
Check out our fundraising software to manage your Serve-a-thon, or visit our Walk-a-thon Resource Center for additional information and sample documents for peer-to-peer events including walk-a-thon flyers, walk-a-thon pledge forms, and more.