Support Your Community While Raising Money for Your School
A student serve-a-thon is a unique and meaningful school fundraising idea to consider. A serve-a-thon is a peer-to-peer fundraising event that not only provides fundraising dollars for your school or organization but also makes a positive impact on the community. In a student serve-a-thon, students and classrooms raise funds by committing to completing a service project in the local community. Students learn to become servant leaders while helping their school meet its financial need.
Serve-a-thons work very similarly to walk-a-thons, in terms of fundraising management. Students and classrooms raise money via a crowdfunding website, by reaching out to family and friends and asking for pledges and donations to help their school. Supporters go online to a student’s personal fundraising page; classroom fundraising pages can also be utilized. On these pages, participants have the ability to upload photos and videos, explain the mission of the service fundraiser, and expand on the type of service they will provide.
We’ve helped lots of schools perform amazing work through serve-a-thons. Let us help your school or organization!
Our Peer-to-Peer Software Makes Serve-a-thon Fundraisers More Successful
Features of our Powerful Serve-a-thon Websites
- Participants have their own fundraising page which is easily shared via email and social media
- Classrooms or grade levels have fundraising pages which include all participants’ combined fundraising progress
- Fundraising thermometers, Leaderboards, and top fundraisers are tracked and displayed on your website (if desired) to promote competition between participants and help schools raise more
- Privacy features can be enabled, so that last names do not show on your website and student pages are not indexed in Google
- Off-line donations and checks are easily tracked and entered from a pledge form to the software, at no additional cost
- Administrators can import students or enable easy, free registration
- Per unit of effort pledges can be tracked, to base donations on the amount of time served or another effort
Your fundraising website should provide detailed information about where the money raised will go, so donors know exactly what they are contributing to. For example, they should state that the funding will go towards new books, or building new library facilities, or helping to save JV sports teams from being discontinued due to budget cuts.
Types of Projects that Work for Serve-a-thons
Typically, the school selects a specific day for the serve-a-thon to take place. This can be a Saturday or during a regular school day – kids enjoy that. On this day, the students volunteer their time serving various organizations in the community. Try to find a project or task that can be completed on the day of the serve-a-thon, so kids can see the fruit of their labors.
Performing service projects educate students about areas of need in the local community. It also shows them why serving others is important and how they can make a difference.
Service projects can be customized to serve the relevant needs in your area. Common organizations to assist include:
- helping homeless and crisis shelters,
- assisting the elderly,
- caring for less fortunate children,
- writing letters to inmates or home-bound persons,
- participating in environmental clean-up and conservation programs and
- appreciating active duty military.
One of the biggest benefits of a school fundraising program like this is that students learn to become servant leaders while helping their school meet its financial need.
Other Peer-to-Peer Resources
Check out our free crowdfunding software to manage your Serve-a-thon, or visit our Walk-a-thon Resource Center for additional information and sample documents for peer-to-peer events including walk-a-thon flyers, walk-a-thon pledge forms, and more.