Fundraising is an essential part of almost every school’s success. Whether you are fundraising for a new playground, a school trip, or educational materials, the right fundraiser can make a significant difference in achieving your goals. While it may seem daunting to choose the right fundraiser, with the right strategies and planning, you can maximize your fundraising efforts and make a considerable profit.
So, keep reading to discover some of the best school fundraising ideas and learn why fundraising is essential for schools.
Fundraisers are essential for schools because they help bridge the gap between what schools need and what they can afford. Most schools have limited budgets and cannot afford to fund all of their programs, trips, and initiatives. Fundraising allows schools to generate the necessary funds to provide students with the best educational experiences possible.
Many types of school fundraisers can generate significant profits. Here are the top five school fundraisers that are proven to make money for school and PTO groups.
Walk-a-thons and Fun Runs
Active events such as walk-a-thons and fun runs are popular and lucrative school fundraisers. These events are fun, relatively easy to plan, and encourage exercise and teamwork among students. Participants ask for donations and pledges from friends and family to support their participation in the Run/Walk/Ride event. Best of all, these events happen at the school, so upfront costs and logistics are minimal.
Community serve-a-thon fundraisers involve providing a service that benefits the community to raise money, such as car washes, dog walking, or neighborhood clean-ups. These fundraisers are great for building community involvement and require a small amount of investment to get started. Students take pledges for their work, and few costs are involved, making this one of the most lucrative fundraisers for schools.
Fundraising Product Sales
Product sales fundraisers involve selling products such as chocolate and candy bars, popcorn, coffee, customized School Spirit Wear, or cookbooks and calendars, to name a few. These fundraisers are popular because they offer something tangible to the buyer, and the profit margin is usually around 50% of the product price.
Online or virtual fundraisers use an online platform to raise money and often involve crowdfunding. Ideas include virtual happy hours, virtual walk-a-thons, and online auctions or sales. These fundraisers are increasingly popular because they’re accessible, convenient, and can reach a wider audience with few costs.
Raffle fundraisers involve selling tickets for a chance to win a prize. This type of fundraiser is straightforward to organize and can be a fun way to engage the school community. Why not try a 50/50 cash raffle, where half of the proceeds from ticket sales are awarded as a prize to the winner, and the other half is kept by the school or PTO? Local businesses or community members often donate prizes to help increase the profits of raffle fundraisers.
When choosing a school fundraiser, it is essential to consider various factors, such as understanding your target audience and the funds and resources available. Considering the time and effort required to organize and execute the school fundraising event is also crucial. Here are some essential factors to keep in mind when you’re school fundraising:
- Purpose: Clearly define the purpose of your fundraiser and what you hope to achieve.
- Audience: Consider your target audience and what type of fundraiser would appeal to them.
- Resources: Assess available resources, such as volunteers, materials, and time.
- Profitability: Determine the potential profit and how much money you need to raise to achieve your goal.
- Timing: Choose a convenient time for your target audience and volunteers.
- Logistics: Consider the logistics involved in organizing and executing the fundraiser.
In addition to the top five most lucrative school fundraisers, schools can use many other successful fundraising ideas to raise money. Here are five more ideas to round out the top ten most profitable school fundraisers:
Crowdfunding involves raising money through many small donations from people online. This type of fundraiser is beneficial for schools with unique or innovative projects that require significant financial support. School crowdfunding can help schools connect with supporters across the country and even around the world.
School Carnivals and Fairs
School Carnivals are also a great way to get the whole community involved, promote awareness of your cause, and raise lots of funds. School carnivals and fairs have something for everyone, but they require a lot of up-front planning and volunteer involvement.
Donation-based fundraisers involve asking for donations from the community, such as monetary or in-kind donations of goods or services. This type of fundraiser is a simple and effective way to raise funds, allowing for a high level of community involvement and little effort.
Partnership fundraisers involve partnering with local businesses to raise funds for the school. One nice thing about this type of campaign is that the sponsoring partner will generally cover many of the associated costs. For example, a restaurant might donate a percentage of its profits for one night to the school and provide the staff. This fundraiser can help build relationships with local businesses while raising money for the school.
Auction fundraisers involve auctioning off donated goods or services to the highest bidder. This type of fundraiser can be a fun and exciting event for the school community, and it has the potential to raise a significant amount of money. How about organizing an Auction of Promises or a low-cost basket auction? Many schools have each class donate a themed basket. These are great around holiday themes like Halloween or Christmas or special events like the Oscars.
Once you’ve selected the best fundraising idea for your school group, you will want to ensure everyone knows about it. The more publicity you create around your campaign, the more money you will likely raise. When it comes to promoting school fundraisers, here are a few effective ways to get the word out:
- Utilize social media: Use platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote the fundraiser and engage with potential supporters. Share updates, photos, and viral videos to keep followers interested and informed.
- Tap into local media: Contact local newspapers, radio stations, and TV news stations to see if they’d be interested in covering your fundraiser. This can help spread the word to a wider audience.
- Involve students: Get students excited about the fundraiser by involving them in the promotion process. Encourage them to share the fundraiser on their own social media channels, hand out school flyers, make posters, and talk about it with friends and family.
- Use email marketing: Send out emails to parents, faculty, and staff to let them know about the fundraiser and how they can get involved. Make sure to include all the important details and a call to action.
- Host a kickoff: Consider hosting an event to promote the fundraiser, such as a kickoff party or pep rally. This can help generate buzz and excitement around the fundraiser, leading to more support.
Last Thoughts on How to Make the Most Money with School Fundraisers
Many school fundraisers have the potential to make a lot of money. From product and event fundraisers to online and crowdfunding options, schools have a variety of effective fundraising strategies to choose from. The type of fundraising campaign you choose is the first step to success, so choose wisely. By promoting your chosen fundraiser effectively and engaging with the community, schools can raise funds to support important initiatives and positively impact students’ lives.