Fundraising is an essential part of almost every school’s success. Whether you are fundraising for a new playground, a school trip, or educational materials, the right fundraiser can make a significant difference in achieving your goals. While it may seem daunting to choose the right fundraiser, with the right strategies and planning, you can maximize your fundraising efforts and make a considerable profit.
So, keep reading to discover some of the best school fundraising ideas and learn why fundraising is essential for schools.
What We’ll Cover
- Why Fundraisers are Important for Schools
- Top 5 School Fundraising Ideas that Make the Most Money
- Factors to Consider when Choosing a School Fundraiser
- More Ideas for Profitable School Fundraisers
- Promoting Your School Fundraiser
Why Fundraisers are Important for Schools
Fundraisers are essential for schools because they help bridge the gap between what schools need and what they can afford. Most schools have limited budgets and cannot afford to fund all of their programs, trips, and initiatives. Fundraising allows schools to generate the necessary funds to provide students with the best educational experiences possible.
Top 5 School Fundraising Ideas that Make the Most Money
Many types of school fundraisers can generate significant profits. Here are the top five school fundraisers that are proven to make money for school and PTO groups.
Athon School Fundraisers
Event fundraisers such as walk-a-thons and fun runs, dance-a-thons, and read-a-thons are popular and lucrative school fundraisers. These events are fun, bring students together, and can have a significant impact on fundraising goals. Participants ask for pledges from friends and family to support their participation in the event. Best of all, these events happen at the school, so there are very few upfront costs.
Community Service Fundraisers
Community serve-a-thon fundraisers involve providing a service that benefits the community to raise money, such as car washes, dog walking, or neighborhood clean-ups. These fundraisers are great for building community involvement and require a small amount of investment to get started. Students take pledges for their work, making this one of the most lucrative fundraisers for schools.
Online or virtual fundraisers involve using an online platform to raise money, such as crowdfunding or online auctions. These fundraisers are increasingly popular because they’re accessible, convenient, and can reach a wider audience with few costs.
Product sales fundraisers involve selling products such as candy, popcorn, coffee, customized merchandise such as School Spirit Wear Sales, or cookbooks and calendars, to name a few. These fundraisers are popular because they offer something tangible to the buyer, and the profit margin is usually high.
Raffle fundraisers involve selling tickets for a chance to win a prize. This type of fundraiser is straightforward to organize and can be a fun way to engage the school community. Why not try an exciting 50/50 Raffle, where half of the proceeds from ticket sales are awarded as a prize to the winner and the other half is kept by the school organization? Prizes can be donated by local businesses or community members to help increase the profits of the fundraiser.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a School Fundraiser
When choosing a school fundraiser, it is essential to consider various factors, such as understanding your target audience and the funds and resources available. Considering the time and effort required to organize and execute the school fundraising event is also crucial. Here are some essential factors to keep in mind when you’re school fundraising:
- Purpose: Clearly define the purpose of your fundraiser and what you hope to achieve.
- Audience: Consider your target audience and what type of fundraiser would appeal to them.
- Resources: Assess available resources, such as volunteers, materials, and time.
- Profitability: Determine the potential profit and how much money you need to raise to achieve your goal.
- Timing: Choose a convenient time for your target audience and volunteers.
- Logistics: Consider the logistics involved in organizing and executing the fundraiser.
More Ideas for Profitable School Fundraisers
In addition to the top 5 most lucrative school fundraisers, schools can use other successful fundraising ideas to raise money. Here are more ideas for profitable school fundraisers:
Crowdfunding involves raising money through a large number of small donations from people online. This type of fundraiser is beneficial for schools with unique or innovative projects that require significant financial support. School crowdfunding can help schools connect with supporters across the country and even around the world.
Donation-based fundraisers involve asking for donations from the community, such as monetary or in-kind donations of goods or services. This type of fundraiser is a simple and effective way to raise funds, allowing for a high level of community involvement.
Partnership or Sponsored Fundraisers
Partnership fundraisers involve partnering with local businesses to raise funds for the school. Once nice thing about this type of campaign is that the sponsoring partner will generally cover many of the associated costs. For example, a restaurant might donate a percentage of its profits for one night to the school and provide the staff. This type of fundraiser can help build relationships with local businesses while raising money for the school.
Auction fundraisers involve auctioning off donated goods or services to the highest bidder. This type of fundraiser can be a fun and exciting event for the school community, and it has the potential to raise a significant amount of money. How about organizing an Auction of Promises or a low-cost Themed Basket Auctions. These are great around different holiday themes like Halloween or Christmas or special events like the Oscars.
School Carnivals are also a great way to get the whole community involved, promote awareness of your cause and raise lots of funds. School carnivals have something for everyone, but they require a lot of up-front planning.
Promoting Your School Fundraiser
When it comes to promoting school fundraisers, here are a few effective ways to get the word out:
- Utilize social media: Use platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote the fundraiser and engage with potential supporters. Share updates, photos and viral videos to keep followers interested and informed.
- Tap into local media: Reach out to local newspapers, radio stations, and TV news stations to see if they’d be interested in covering your fundraiser. This can help spread the word to a wider audience.
- Involve students: Get students excited about the fundraiser by involving them in the promotion process. Encourage them to share the fundraiser on their own social media channels, hand out school flyers, make posters, and to talk about it with friends and family.
- Use email marketing: Send out emails to parents, faculty, and staff to let them know about the fundraiser and how they can get involved. Make sure to include all the important details and a call to action.
- Host an event: Consider hosting an event to promote the fundraiser, such as a kickoff party or a fun run. This can help generate buzz and excitement around the fundraiser, which can lead to more support.
Last Thoughts on How to Make the Most Money with School Fundraisers
Many school fundraisers have the potential to make a lot of money. From product and event fundraisers to online and crowdfunding options, schools have a variety of effective fundraising strategies to choose from. The type of fundraising campaign you choose is the first step to success. By promoting the fundraiser effectively and engaging with the community, schools can raise funds to support important initiatives and positively impact students’ lives.