A dance-a-thon fundraiser is a creative peer to peer crowdfunding event with great potential to raise money for nonprofit causes. Many danceathons are run as dance marathons or Dancing with the Stars type events. Danceathons are great for kids and teens – and especially popular with dance teams, gymnastics, and cheerleading squads.
How Danceathons Work
Ever been to a dance-a-thon or dance marathon? Here’s how it works:
Event participants commit to dancing for a certain amount of time to raise money for your organization. Many events are 12 or 24 hours – and can be danced straight or split into sessions.
Participants seek donations and pledges before the event from their friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family. Donations can be made in support of a dancer and for the amount of time danced. Businesses and corporations can become dance sponsors, and their staff can form dance-a-thon teams. Participants may purchase tickets or commit to raising a certain amount of funds. Then everyone comes together and has fun!
Read on to find out exactly how to organize a danceathon fundraiser that everyone will love.
Organizing a Dance-a-thon Fundraiser
Organizing a dance-a-thon fundraiser can be accomplished successfully by following these simple steps.
Step 1: Assemble a Dance-a-thon Event Leadership Team
All successful fundraising events hinge on the recruitment and action of a strong leadership team. Organizing a dance-a-thon fundraiser is no exception. Get your planning committee in place early.
Step 2: Determine Dance-a-thon Logistics & Financial Goals
This step includes determining the date and location of your fundraising dance-a-hon, fundraising budget and goals, location, and the like.
Step 3: Implement Crowdfunding Software
Peer-to-peer crowdfunding software is a must for this type of event. This is where DoJiggy comes in! One of the most important considerations when planning a dance-a-thon fundraiser is how to successfully and securely manage donations and pledges. We offer the best, FREE peer-to-peer software in the industry. Dancers register for the event and collect online donations for your organization here.
Step 4: Recruit Dances and Sponsors
Start by working within your network of supporters. Marketing outreach and promotion will also serve an important purpose in raising awareness and drawing participants and donors to the danceathon. Just make it fun and everyone will want to participate.
Step 5: Rock the Danceathon
You’ve done the hard work, now it’s time to host the danceathon and have some fun! Be sure to staff your danceathon with volunteers who know what they’re doing and create lots of opportunities for participants to have fun. Here are some ideas to bring the fun:
- Encourage a dance-a-thon theme or ask dancers to comein costume
- Have a photo booth or photo station with fun, silly props
- Include lots of drinks and other refreshments for your dancers
- Host raffles or drawings for prizes between songs
- Have special guests to lead some of the dances
Virtual Dance-a-thons Work!
If your school or organization is looking for a creative fundraising idea during COVID-19, consider a virtual dance-a-thon. Dance-a-thons can be awesome virtual or hybrid events! All you need is an excited DJ with a live-streamed setup and some great music. Participants can dance the night away from the comfort of their own homes. They will still feel connected as they can see others having fun and getting in the spirit. Virtual dancers can still signup on your website and take donations for your cause.
To peg the fun meter, consider creating virtual dance-a-thon party boxes. The box can include a colorful party wig, beads, streamers, party blowers or horns, confetti, as well as your dance-a-thon t-shirt, and sponsor swag. You get the idea. When participants register, they can select to pick up a box before the event or be mailed a party box. Be sure to tell your supporters not to open the box until the day of the dance-a-thon fundraiser.
10 Creative Dance-a-thon Fundraiser Ideas
Dance-a-thons are successful when they are fun for everyone involved. Many college and university fundraising dance-a-thons run for 12 to 24 hours. Participants are going to need some serious motivation to keep dancing!
How can you make your dance-a-thon a unique fundraising event that everyone will want to participate in? Here are 10+ creative dance-a-thon fundraiser ideas to get you started.
- Add contests and games throughout the event.
- Be sure to create a fun theme for the dance and run with it.
- Add a breakfast fundraiser or an evening barbecue to attract more participation. Go gourmet with local chefs and attract the foodies.
- Ask your dance-a-thon teams to dress in costume. A group of four dressed as their favorite rock band or Madonna would be entertaining.
- Create memories and bring in more funds with custom dance-a-thon apparel. Sell dance-a-thon products online with your own personalized online store. Let supporters display your brand everywhere they go on t-shirts, hoodies, and coffee mugs.
- Plan more than one band or DJ. You may attract more participation if you appeal to people with various styles of music.
- Open up the floor to anyone who wants to buy a ticket at the door and dance!
- Have a selection of food and beverage vendors. Add a wine or beer vendor in the late afternoon and evening hours, if appropriate.
- Partner with a dance school or ballet company. Promote their school and ask them to perform during breaks in exchange for free dance lessons that are raffled off at the event.
- Promote the event with funky social media posts. Create an infectious mood of dance fever on Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and more with dance videos.
- Live video streaming of the danceathon will get supporters engaged from home.
Utilizing Crowdfunding Software For Dance-a-thons & Dance Marathons
Dance-a-thon fundraisers rely on powerful peer-to-peer crowdfunding software tools, and social media networks and integrations. Utilizing crowdfunding software enables your message to be organically spread by your supporters. Your charity organization is able to manage the over-arching fundraising campaign and maintain brand consistency, while your supporters bring in new supporters.
Some features and tools of our crowdfunding software for dance marathons and dance-a-thons are:
- Secure participant and team event registrations
- Individual participants and teams with the ability to personalize fundraising through personal fundraising pages and team pages
- Fundraising pages that include images and videos, a personal or team statement, social media integration links to easily share
- Top fundraiser leaderboards and event fundraising thermometers
- Tracking and distributing prizes and awards with our prize management system
- Free Text to Donate functionality (in the US only)
Dance marathons are popular and fun fundraising events that can be quite lucrative. Engage the whole community by adding dance-a-thon fundraiser ideas for everyone. Attract new donors through dance, music, food, and an opportunity to help and be a part of your cause.